Monday, October 19, 2009

A Room With a View

So, I've been back for a week. I still feel as much as ever that it is just the place for me. I am starting to sort out a work visa and a job or two. I am reconnecting with my wonderful ward and loved ones here in London. Things feel different, though. Many of my friends are no longer here. I feel in so many ways that I am starting afresh.
I was in Utah last month for my dearest friend Katie's wedding. It brought me more joy than I can express. It also brought some mourning. Katie was my closest friend, and now she has someone who, of course, she is closer to. I recognize that I need to not rely on her as much as I did before. Throughout my school year here in London we would talk once a week or once every other week--to catch up and to sort out our lives together and to support one another. We won't be doing that as much anymore and I have been feeling the lack.
While I was in the States my good friend Rachelle moved just across the railroad tracks from me. I have been spending more time with her and it is becoming increasingly clear to me that she is here in my life right now to be that support that I felt lacking. We are of the same age, similar in strivings, ambition, desires and faith. She has a heart of gold and is a faithful friend. I feel my heart opening more and more to her.
And although I feel happy being here, I have feared loneliness. So the other morning I decided to sit down and eat breakfast at the table in front of the bay window. I looked out the window. This is the view from my window:



It is sky, train track, and trees, with a building or two hiding behind the trees. What amazed me was that the trees met up in the middle, creating a small hole through which could be seen one window in an apartment building across the way. I stared in disbelief. That one window, truly the only one I can see, is Rachelle's. Yes, you needn't wonder--it is a sign. A sign that Heavenly Father loves me, is aware of me and won't leave me feeling alone. For goodness sake, he put the only friend I have in the neighborhood in the only window I could see from my flat! Thanks Heavenly Father, and thanks Rachelle for being that friend!

No comments: